Previous elementary opt out success

Discussion of Opting Out/Refusal of STAAR
jill.bennett

I am in Conroe ISD and opted my son out in third and fourth grades. After that, we took another path and went to private school. He is currently in 8th grade and will go back to public for high school. I have started gearing up to educate counselors and teachers regarding EOCs. With the current unknowns in the legislature, I am anxious yet hopeful that substitute assessments will remain as they have been. I welcome any input and guidance.

brandi.parsley-ward

Facing EOC’s this year. Elementary and middle school were no trouble. I have requested the English EOC be substituted with the PSAT and still have not heard back from anyone .
scott.placek

Did you send the scores with the request to substitute.
Webmaster for txedrights.net
Admin at Texans Take Action Against STAAR

General Potstirrer and malcontent
walter.ashley

Is there anymore info on opting out for Conroe ISD? I joined to find out the way to go about opting out. When I did a search for Conroe ISD, this was the only post that popped up. I really need help opting my son out.
scott.placek

walter.ashley wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:24 am Is there anymore info on opting out for Conroe ISD? I joined to find out the way to go about opting out. When I did a search for Conroe ISD, this was the only post that popped up. I really need help opting my son out.
Good morning. We are transitioning these types of posts to the forum, so the information will be archived here. I will ask several Conroe parents to comment here. Thank you. If you (or one of them) would like to moderate a board for Conroe, I will set that up.
Webmaster for txedrights.net
Admin at Texans Take Action Against STAAR

General Potstirrer and malcontent
stacie.mickel-blackburn

My 8th Fraser last year at irons JH. We opted out with zero problems. In fact, at the start of the year they tried to pull my son from an elective and I emailed the counsler and asked to be put back in Art as we opt out of staar (first year for opting out.. I was scared tbh) well I kept him hom the week of STAAR and sent back only that Friday. No issues. About a week after school ended I received a call for the GPC and it lasted 1 min with them saying it’s recommended that he move on to 9th. My 5th grader went pretty much the same way but no GPC call. Got report card in the mail saying he was going to 6th grade. He was in Vogel last year and in Sushma this year. Having the same principle, I expect this year will be easy as well.
jill.bennett

Walter - I have past experience opting out in Conroe ISD (elementary level) and I'm happy to help. What questions do you have? Also, if you could provide the name of the school.
Lkmontes

walter.ashley wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:24 am Is there anymore info on opting out for Conroe ISD? I joined to find out the way to go about opting out. When I did a search for Conroe ISD, this was the only post that popped up. I really need help opting my son out.

I successfully opted out my child at Birnham Woods last year. I simply sent an email to the principal and told her my child would not be participating in the assessments. I scheduled dr/dentist appts for the morning times during the testing week and dropped him back off at the school around 11.
He’s at Clark this year and the admin are aware about my thoughts on STAAR. So far I haven’t had pushback.