Refusing benchmark testing

Discussion of Opting Out/Refusal of STAAR
lawanagreen

So I received this from the principal today in regards to Benchmark testing. We kept our daughter home the two days of benchmarking and she returned with a doctors note.
I am struggling with the correct response to this as I know that alternatives for STAAR requirements are given but as far as "benchmarking" I am not as confident about. Last year it was not a problem with the same principal. My daughter is an A/B student taking 2 high school credit courses and 3 AP classes. Any advice is greatly appreciated. We had great success last year opting out with both our kids.

Hi Mrs. Green,

I believe Mrs. Wooley gave Samie an alternative assignment this time, however it is asking her to do quite a large amount of work on her off time if she is expected to create alternative assignments for all students who miss benchmarks.

The benchmarks are just as stated, a marking of where students are in the school year with regard to mastering the required TEKS for their grade level. Students take these tests to see how far along they have come towards mastering grade level objectives. It is quite necessary for us to know what Samie has learned, needs to master, and has yet to understand before becoming "proficient in" completing the 8th grade curriculum.
We happen to use a released STAAR assessment because that is what the State of Texas and our school district has deemed to be an appropriate measure of 8th grade TEKS mastery.

As previously discussed, it is your choice to refuse participation in STAAR testing for Samie, however she will still be responsible for the consequences of your choice. Attendance, course mastery and assessment grades will still determine Samie's grade placement for next year.

In the future a missed test grade will earn a zero until it is made up, and an assessment of Samie's mastery of the Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills (TEKS), will come in the form deemed appropriate by our school district. End of Course exams (EOCs) are necessary to determine student mastery of course work and the effectiveness of instruction.

I am happy to discuss this further with you if necessary. Please call me at 972-872-3850 at your convenience.

On Mon, Jan 27, 2020 at 12:07 AM Wooley, Nicole <nicole.wooley@ennis.k12.tx.us> wrote:

---------- Forwarded message ---------
Date: Sun, Jan 26, 2020 at 11:22 PM
Subject: Samie Green
To: nicole.wooley@ennis.k12.tx.us <nicole.wooley@ennis.k12.tx.us>

Good morning,

Samie told me that you had her making up the Benchmark. As we informed you at open house she is not to partake in any tests that are directly related to the STAAR as she will not be taking the STAAR. Being a teacher I know that the Benchmark is used for determining areas of focus for "tutoring" to increase STAAR scores. If you are using the Benchmark as a grade please offer Samie a test that covers the units or an alternative that directly corresponds to her area(s) of weakness - this is much more beneficial to her as a student.

If you have any questions my conference period is from 8:45-9:24 or I can be reached after 3:30 or before 8:00am. Thank you for you cooperation in this matter.

Have a great day!
Lawana Green
--
Mrs. Nicole Wooley
8th Grade ELAR Team Lead
Ennis Junior High School
972-872-3850 Ext. 3885
E-Mail: nicole.wooley@ennis.k12.tx.us
Web-Page: https://sites.google.com/a/ennis.k12.tx ... s-ela-esl/

--
Sheila Thomas-Boone
Principal
Ennis Jr High, it's HOME
972-872-3855
Every Child, Every Chance, Everyday

kelly.ulman

We refused Benchmark today. The principal told us that if he got a 0 on the benchmark, he would be required to attend tutoring.
scott.placek

kelly.ulman wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:50 am We refused Benchmark today. The principal told us that if he got a 0 on the benchmark, he would be required to attend tutoring.
What grade? Did he take/pass STAAR in this subject last year?
Webmaster for txedrights.net
Admin at Texans Take Action Against STAAR

General Potstirrer and malcontent
scott.placek

lawanagreen wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:44 pm So I received this from the principal today in regards to Benchmark testing. We kept our daughter home the two days of benchmarking and she returned with a doctors note.
I am struggling with the correct response to this as I know that alternatives for STAAR requirements are given but as far as "benchmarking" I am not as confident about. Last year it was not a problem with the same principal. My daughter is an A/B student taking 2 high school credit courses and 3 AP classes. Any advice is greatly appreciated. We had great success last year opting out with both our kids.
I think I would respond by pointing out that you believe the professional educators at the school are more than capable of determining the proficiency of your daughter vis a vis the curriculum from their day to day work in the classroom. Isn't that the purpose of the tests they give in the classes. How could a student who is not proficient perform at an A/B level much less above grade level?

Given the multiple studies which cast doubt on the validity of STAAR, I would emphasize that you will gladly participate in all campus created tests and assessments, but will continue to decline participating in anything that requires you to affirm the validity of STAAR.

kelly.ulman

scott.placek wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:21 am
kelly.ulman wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:50 am We refused Benchmark today. The principal told us that if he got a 0 on the benchmark, he would be required to attend tutoring.
What grade? Did he take/pass STAAR in this subject last year?

He is in 7th grade, he did not pass the STAAR last year. This will be our first year to OPT-Out. We started out the year with an extra reading class and an extra math class. I respectfully requested he be given back his elective, and they complied.
scott.placek

Kelly, your question becomes a little complicated with those facts. Let me try to get you a full answer by Monday. I need to look up a statute to make sure I am right.

scott.placek

Kelly,

A few points to think about. When the principal says he would be required to attend tutorials, he is not accurately conveying a statutory or regulatory requirement. He is stating a local campus decision. That means he has the discretion to change that. So the first approach would be to simply ask him to respect your wishes that the school not subject him to STAAR preparation. If his grades are good, focus on that fact and that you don't want to overemphasize the assessment with your son.

The only issue is that if they insist, they could claim that his attendance is mandatory under compulsory attendance. Because your son did not pass STAAR, there is a part of the compulsory attendance law that includes accelerated instruction: Tex. Education Code 25.085 (d). Thus if you failed to send him, the school in theory could refer him for truancy. I have seen that happen only once, but it is a possibility.

If they bring up truancy, you can try to negotiate a different kind of AI, since there is no requirement that it involve tutorials.

Let me know if you have any questions.