Opting out and passing grade

Discussion of Opting Out/Refusal of STAAR
maria.hinojosa

If we as parents decide to opt out of star testing, how is the kids passing or failing determined? By average of grades all yr?

scott.placek

Previous answers from FB
forum answer.png
forum answer.png (57.04 KiB) Viewed 37762 times
Webmaster for txedrights.net
Admin at Texans Take Action Against STAAR

General Potstirrer and malcontent
scott.placek

Maria,

Thanks for posting here. The best summary I have is this:

Other than grades 5 and 8, promotion is based on grades without regard to STAAR. In Grades 5 and 8, students who do not take or pass STAAR are promoted based on grades by what is called the Grade Placement Committee. Usually between 90 and 95% of STAAR failures are promoted. Usually the only kids who aren't promoted are those whose grades don't merit it.

So the real answer is grades, grades, grades! For IEP kids, it can be based on progress toward goals.

You can confirm your local district policy by searching for their Board Policy EIE (Local).
Webmaster for txedrights.net
Admin at Texans Take Action Against STAAR

General Potstirrer and malcontent
adriene.daugherty

Maria
I personally took the liberty to make dr follow up appts for my daughter during the assessment windows, and upon return, she went back with dr notes. I also had placed in my daughter's IEP that regardless if she took and passed or failed that she would still be promoted to the next grade. What the Spec Ed Coord wasnt anticipating was me using it against them and STILL continue to make the follow up appts for her. My daughter is a 6th grader, but we are now homeschooling since Oct of last year, but at least i know that its in place in her IEP. Each time that she has missed the STAAR, i always had the GPC meeting and because of her grades...she has always been straight A~A/B student since she has been in school, and she wasnt truant, she was always promoted. I used their kindness (😃) to my advantage against them...maybe you can figure a way to do the same.
Good Luck Momma Bear!