TEC Chapter 39

General discussion of STAAR, its validity, its place in the accountability system and all other STAAR related questions.
staceytm78

On the FB page, someone posted a picture of a school's response to opting out. In the letter, the superintendent referenced Chapter 39 and that it uses "assessments" and "tests" interchangeably. I quickly skimmed the chapter and didn't see anything like what that super is saying. Has anyone else gotten that kind of response? Has anyone found the language that's being referenced?

My 7th grader has already been threatened with losing electives next year. If the schools are changing their tactics, I want to be prepared with facts to immediately counteract them.

scott.placek

staceytm78 wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:04 pm On the FB page, someone posted a picture of a school's response to opting out. In the letter, the superintendent referenced Chapter 39 and that it uses "assessments" and "tests" interchangeably. I quickly skimmed the chapter and didn't see anything like what that super is saying. Has anyone else gotten that kind of response? Has anyone found the language that's being referenced?

My 7th grader has already been threatened with losing electives next year. If the schools are changing their tactics, I want to be prepared with facts to immediately counteract them.
It's nonsense. Chapter 39 refers to STAAR as an assessment over 350 times. There is one reference to testing contractors. It's simply a lie that some school lawyer made up without checking. Apart from the fact that Chapter 26 (the one with opt out rights) treats tests and assessments as different things. STAAR is one or the other, not both. (P.S. - It's an assessment)
Webmaster for txedrights.net
Admin at Texans Take Action Against STAAR

General Potstirrer and malcontent
staceytm78

I saw where they could "field test," and another reference to "assessments or tests." Just wanted to make sure I didn't miss something.

Thanks!