Correcting Updated EOC "Requirements"

General discussion of STAAR, its validity, its place in the accountability system and all other STAAR related questions.
suzy.lemon

Received the following wrong information from the school district (Lewisville ISD) today:

Dear Parents,

The Texas Education Agency changed the requirements regarding end-of-course (EOC) assessments and substitute assessments for graduation. Substitute assessments consist of PSAT, SAT or ACT. These changes require that a student must still take an EOC even if they are using a substitute assessment to meet graduation requirements required under state law (TEC, §39.023(c)).

Beginning Spring 2020, students enrolled in a STAAR EOC course will be required to attempt the EOC even if a substitute assessment will be utilized. The STAAR EOC exam must be scored and cannot be voided or invalidated. If your child is absent, they will be required to participate during the next administration of STAAR EOC in order to meet graduation requirements.

More information can be found at http://ritter.tea.state.tx.us/rules/tac ... h101dd.pdf. Please visit http://ritter.tea.state.tx.us/rules/tac ... 4002-1.pdf to find eligible substitute assessments and qualifying scores.

I am going to ask them to send out corrected information but want to make sure I'm sending them what they need to make the right decision.

It appears to me that they are misinterpreting §101.4002(e)
A student electing to substitute an assessment for graduation purposes must still take the corresponding EOC assessment required under the TEC, §39.023(c), at least once for federal accountability purposes. If a student sits for an EOC assessment, a school district may not void or invalidate the test in lieu of a substitute assessment.

Not that I'm controlling or anything( :mrgreen: ), but I want to tell the district what to do. Do I want them to record the substitute assessment score and send in my son's blank answer sheet for "scoring" to satisfy federal accountability? (The answer sheet code for substitute assessment is gone, right?) I will also send them the discussion document posted by the TEA which I think further clarifies that students to NOT have to take the EOC's to graduation if they use substitute assessments.

scott.placek

I do not know what is wrong with these sons of bitches! Please forward me either the email or a scan of what you received to txedrights@gmail.com

I don't give a damn about S for Score - they've been faking data for years on the STAAR. What I care about is the absolute lie that taking these EOCs is required for graduation. Fucking lying assholes. I am sending this right to the TEA once you send it to me.
Webmaster for txedrights.net
Admin at Texans Take Action Against STAAR

General Potstirrer and malcontent
scott.placek

suzy.lemon

Sorry it took me so long to reply back. Didn't have the notifications for my post turned on!

What email address do you want me to forward the email to? I tried admin@txedrights.net and it bounced. I know you've posted it 1,000 times in the fb group but the only one I could find was research@txedrights.net.

Thank you!

I'll post an update here when/if I hear back from the ISD.
scott.placek

suzy.lemon wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:23 am Sorry it took me so long to reply back. Didn't have the notifications for my post turned on!

What email address do you want me to forward the email to? I tried admin@txedrights.net and it bounced. I know you've posted it 1,000 times in the fb group but the only one I could find was research@txedrights.net.

Thank you!

I'll post an update here when/if I hear back from the ISD.
txedrights@gmail.com

suzy.lemon

Email sent!