IGC requirements and online testing

Discussion of Opting Out/Refusal of STAAR
diane.thorpe

I just received the below message from Erica Fox (the HS student services coordinator) for Azle High School (Azle ISD).
Two questions:
1) Are tutorials a required gate for accessing the IGC process?
2) I realize they cannot force my student to test. I would prefer to have him/her refuse on paper. Can they force my child to test via their school issued Chromebook? My student is not on an IEP, 504, or LPAC.

Thanks for any insight!
Diane Thorpe
ERICA FOX <efox@azleisd.net>
To:Azle High School Recipients
Sun, Mar 28 at 6:31 PM

Dear Student and Parent/Guardian,
English I and English II STAAR testing dates are coming up quickly! Students who fall into these categories are required to take the corresponding English EOC test this April:

are currently completing English I or English II
did not pass a previous STAAR English I and/or English II EOC exam or
did not pass the English I and/or English II EOC course during the 2019-2020 school year
All students who are required to test should report to Azle High School by 8:15 on the designated date:

In-person learners and Paper Testers
(Please note: Students with paper testing must have it documented on their IEP, 504, or LPAC) :

English I: Tuesday, April 6
English II: Thursday, April 8

Virtual Learners:
English I: Tuesday, April 13
English II: Friday, April 16

It is important to note that unless otherwise stated in an IEP, 504 plan or LPAC, students will take their STAAR test on their Chromebook. Please make sure to bring a fully charged school-issued Chromebook on your testing day. Students who have the text-to-speech designated support listed in their IEP, 504 plan or LPAC will also need to bring their own headphones (bluetooth headphones are not permitted).

All COVID-19 guidelines will be followed on testing days, including the requirement that students wear a mask at all times. Every effort will be made to social distance students in the testing rooms. However, due to room constraints, we cannot guarantee that social distancing will happen at all times.

Students must pass all five STAAR EOC tests (Algebra I, Biology, English I, English II, and U.S. History) in order to meet graduation requirements. Algebra I, Biology, and U.S. History EOCs will be given in May. Those testing dates will be sent out as we get closer to May.

If you are interested in tutorials, please check with your English, Biology, Algebra, or U.S. History teacher or click here to see other tutoring options. Students should come to tutorials prepared with their Chromebook, pencil and paper/notebook. Please note that any seniors who have not passed their EOC are required to attend tutorials in order to be considered by the Individual Graduation Committee.

Another email will be sent closer to the testing date with more details about testing day.

If you are unsure of what test you will be taking or if you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to reach out.

Sincerely,

Erica Fox
Student Services Counselor
Azle High School
817-444-5555 x2031
efox@azleisd.net

scott.placek

Diane,

I am aware of no statutory or regulatory requirement that a student attend tutorials to access the IGC process. I would write back to the school and say "I have scoured the statute, the commissioner's rules and the district's adopted board policies (which cannot impose greater requirements than the statute) and I have found nothing that states that a student must attend tutorials to have access to the statutorily created IGC process.

Please provide me the citation to the statute, regulation or board policy you are relying on for that statement."

As to the testing method, unless they are willing to accommodate you the school can choose the type of administration. I have heard of parents denying the technology agreements at the beginning of the year to force paper administrations, but that may have further ramifications and I do not know if this will actually work everywhere.
Webmaster for txedrights.net
Admin at Texans Take Action Against STAAR

General Potstirrer and malcontent