How soon to notify school?

Discussion of Opting Out/Refusal of STAAR
Kw381

How soon to notify school about opting out? STAAR scheduled for May for my 3rd grader. I’ve verbally told the school but not sent the email yet. How soon is recommended?

scott.placek

You can do it whenever you want. There are no deadlines. Practically it may depend on your opt out plans and how much cooperation you need from the school. If you are planning to stay home the entire testing window, you can tell them as late or as early as you want because their cooperation is not needed. If you are planning an active refusal or facilitated refusal, give enough time to work out the details. Some people never give notice and just don't show up.

How are you planning to opt out and what district are you dealing with?
Webmaster for txedrights.net
Admin at Texans Take Action Against STAAR

General Potstirrer and malcontent
Kw381

I’m in San Antonio NEISD. I’ve told principal and VP earlier in the year. They set up a meeting to talk about my unhappiness to an event which was just a rouse to bring me in to talk about STAAR. I told teacher early on and she told them. When I mentioned not liking the event it gave them option to schedule meeting. I’m not sure what they intend to do. Principal said we’d talk more about it later in year. I think I’ll send letter after spring break next week. If they give me hard time, I intend to keep her home.
scott.placek

Kw381 wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:00 pm I’m in San Antonio NEISD. I’ve told principal and VP earlier in the year. They set up a meeting to talk about my unhappiness to an event which was just a rouse to bring me in to talk about STAAR. I told teacher early on and she told them. When I mentioned not liking the event it gave them option to schedule meeting. I’m not sure what they intend to do. Principal said we’d talk more about it later in year. I think I’ll send letter after spring break next week. If they give me hard time, I intend to keep her home.
With a young student, keeping them home is best unless the school is cooperative in facilitating a refusal.
Webmaster for txedrights.net
Admin at Texans Take Action Against STAAR

General Potstirrer and malcontent